Saturday 24 January 2009

My 105mmVR is the beast!

I've been trying to get my new Nikkor 105mm macro working in my Subal housing. Subal type 3 housings and ports have an 85mm internal diameter, which is just too tight to get the fat  bodied 105mm into. When I tried to get the lens into the housing, it caught on the MF/AF and VR buttons, and tended to offset the lens to one side. This in turn caused sealing problems with the port. So-I put a post out onto Wetpixel (www.wetpixel.com) and had some great responses. Ryan Cannon from Reef Photo and Video (www.reefphoto.com) very kindly got in touch and suggested that I bore the extension out to 88mm. So I took it down to Alan Dick engineering in Heysham (http://www.alandickengineering.co.uk/) who did a fantasic job while I waited. It now fits just and so-although you still have to be very careful not to catch the MF gear in the housing when putting the lens in. I have copied Alex Mustard with this, and use a £1 coin to lift the gear away from the lens body while I am getting it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
googleaecb356e127a3a95.html