Thursday 5 February 2009

Caving in the Dales

I went up to Lost Johns Pot near Cowan Bridge in Yorkshire yesterday, and together with Dave Elliot, had a fantastic trip down Lost Johns Pot. We dropped down about 6 pitches, in smooth walled, very dry clean cave, and then came back out again! I'd forgotten how physically hard SRT is, although it was good to feel that I was getting back into my rhythm by the end. I ache a lot and have some strange bruises today thoughCaves are amazing environments, it is always weird to look out over a landscape, and imagine that underneath it are a rabbit warren of tunnels and passageways. They also give you a real sense of the scale of geological time-many of the passages are now dry, they were carved out when water levels were much higher. I used to take a camera on my caving trips-together with slave flashes, but didn't yesterday. As always, I wished I had! Caving is such an alien activity, that I think it is quite eye-catching and photogenic. Note to self-take a camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
googleaecb356e127a3a95.html